Saturday, November 10, 2007

Intern in high school, stand out from crowd

I came across an article on fastweb.com about sniffing out internships while you're still in high school. It links to a few companies that have formal internship programs for high school students. According to the article, many organizations, such as the Smthsonian, have formal internship programs for high school students. That is a testimate to the increasing amount of high school students interested in pursuing internships.

According to Alicia Fales, coordinator of the Honors Senior Internship Program at Towson High School, 45 seniors are currently interning. When I was a student there in 2002, there were only 15 interns in the program. Students work with a mentor that provides them with an experience that can't be replicated in the classroom.

2 comments:

kobrie4 said...

I really regret not having an internship in high school. I was in the Science & Technology program at Eleanor Roosevelt High School and there were many unique internships available to us students. I have close friends who interned at places like the National Zoo and NIH. The experience they gained was immense and they had fun too! I think if at all possible high school students should seek internships so that they can learn in a whole new way.

Matt.Anderson's MCOM 407 blog said...

I regret not interning in high school as well. Especially with our chosen profession, I feel like it is virtually the ONLY way to get a job.

If this isn't something that you've already emphasized, I think that you should!